Tuesday 24 May 2016

Science Week Recount by Aashna


That was the plan and this is the real recount.

Dancing Raisins
On the 17th of May 2016, Hub 8 were doing science experiments because it was science week. We did this experiment called dancing raisins with Mr Stuart. I was very curious on finding out what will happen at the dancing raisins experiment.  

For that experiment we needed: soda/lemonade, a transparent cup and 6 or 7 raisins. We used soda. All of us got into groups of two or three so we could share a cup. I was in a group of two with Vera.

First, Mr Stuart poured the cup full with soda water and Vera and I watched the cup as the bubbles from the soda fizzed up immediately. Then Mr Stuart gave us about 6 raisins, Vera and I split the raisins evenly between ourselves so Vera dropped 3 raisins in the cup and I put 3 in too.

Then we kept on watching the raisins that were in the cup. The raisins did not move that much, it was still sinking in the bottom of the cup. After a few minutes, some raisins raised to the top of the cup then sank back to the bottom again.

Mr Stuart came to us again and explained to us why the raisins were raising to the top of the cup, he told us that the bubbles from the soda were sticking to the raisins and pulling it up but then the bubbles reacted and popped so the raisins sink back down. Then he suggested that maybe this experiment would work better if we used lemonade instead of soda.


I really enjoyed the dancing raisins science experiment because I learned heaps of knowledge. I found the experiment very exciting because I never thought that the bubbles from the soda would stick on the raisins and then pull it up. That is how we did the dancing raisins experiment.

By: Aashna

No comments:

Post a Comment