Tuesday 24 May 2016

Science Week Recount - Vera


This week Mrs Parkers literacy group have been learning how to write a recount, so we decided to write a recount about our science experiments that we did. (It was SCIENCE WEEK!) I hope you enjoy my writing!


The Dancing Raisins

On the 17th of may 2016 hub 8 learners decided to try some science experiments because it was SCIENCE WEEK! I was so excited to try out the science experiments that was planned for us. One of the experiments was called the Dancing raisins it sounded really cool and fun.

The ingredients for this experiment was really simple and I could even do it at home, it was only lemonade or soda water and some raisins, with a cup. I wondered how it would make the raisins dance? The ingredients made me really curious about this experiment.

Before the experiment, we predicted that the raisins will dance and float above the water. I predicted this because I know that soda is fizzy and maybe the fizz would make the raisins float and dance in the water, and because of it's name ( Dancing raisins ).

The first thing I did was pouring the soda/lemonade into the cup and add some raisins. When I put the ingredients into the cup, I was asking myself if the raisins would even dance? What actually made the raisins move?

I had a lot of questions bursting into my mind, I really wanted to know answers for all of my questions. Maybe it was just me but I thought that it was sure kind of boring when you had to sit their and watch the raisins, It was really weird because the raisins weren't moving they were just lying on the bottom of the cup, I started wondering if we did something wrong or if the name was called wrong? Just then when we were going to give up hope some of the raisins floated up onto the water and then went back down, as if it was dancing!


I was really confused of how the raisins floated up but then went straight down again? We continued on looking at the cup of dancing raisins and we saw that bubbles were starting to form and stick onto the raisins maybe the bubbles were what the things that make the raisins float, but then why does the raisins drop down once they floated to the top? Mr Stuart told us that the reason why the raisins will drop down is because once the bubbles reach the top they will automatically pop and then the raisin will have to much weight to float and drop down. But their was one question that everyone had how did the bubbles even stick onto the raisins? Nobody had the answer for that one.
I learned that the raisins were to heavy to float but the soda's bubble are light enough to make the raisins float up. From my estimate I learned that there's lot of learning behind a science experiment. I also had a lot of fun doing this experiment.  I would definitely do this experiment again!

                                                    The End
Your Sincerely

 Vera  J


No comments:

Post a Comment