Tuesday 14 June 2016

Brittany's Mission Bay Recount




It was the 7th of June, another icy cold day in winter and on that day we had went to Mission bay.

We had got off the bus, others whom had been at the back were still pouring out of the doors.
When everyone had got off, the bus driver drove off quickly- Poor busdriver! The teachers led us to a large patch of grass where we sat down, they gave us instructions on the subject of our sandcastle competition we were to do in a few minutes time.
They also announced that we would be walking to the other side of the beach, as there was more sand on that area opposed to the area of beach where we were, that was invaded with seashells that had washed up on shore.After they had finished speaking, we all stood up and walked, chatting continuously as we walked to the other end of Mission Bay.

When we had gotten there we had been sent off to start sculpting, digging and building.
There, the collaborative group I was allocated to was with Izzy, Seb, Alan, Shayan and Angela had started to dig a pit into the sand. Alan, Izzy, Shayan and I went scavenging the beach for clams, but were unsuccessful as we were only able to find lots and I mean lots of shells and not even a single clam, whilst Seb, was already done digging the Sarlacc pit.When I got back to our little area, the pit was quite large. Then, I had dumped the shells onto the ground, creating a mound of seashells.The others got back soon after and also dumped more shells and surprisingly, also sticks onto the mound. I found myself scooping out sand from inside the pit and dumping on the sand and was molding the sand into a large tentacle.
Soon enough, the others had joined and helped me create the rest of the tentacles and we were finally done with them. I dumped a mound of sand into a mile, then sculpting it into the neck of a Sarlacc and placed two shells as the head, side facing the bottom of the floor onto the sand and molded the neck onto the head.
We were finally done when we heard a whistle, time was up! We had finished just in time.

The teachers called us all to do the beach game rotations, the games including our choices of games in which were Beach Flags, Relays and Soccer. I went for Beach Flags first, as I was in Mr.Stuart's guardian group and while I was waiting I decided to collect a few shells.
When it was my turn, Mr Stuart waited for the others to decide who was going to go and I had already jumped and I lay there on the sand.
Mr Stuart shouted, "GO!", my heart raced when he shouted.
I pushed myself up, running as fast as my legs could take me but the fact that there were pieces of shell poking into my socks and jabbing my feet didn't help at all and sadly, I scrambled to grab one of the sticks but Ryan beat me to it, we both grabbed the stick but he tugged it away pulling it away from my grasp. The rest of the time at Beach flags was spent watching the others run while I sat there, staring into space out of boredom and humming a tune.
After, I went to soccer, the same jabbing sensation existed in my feet, I'm guessing that I'm just not very used to being on a beach full of pieces of chipped shells and running on it.
I had done my best, trying to ignore the pain in my feet but the sad thing was that it didn't really help that much trying to ignore it.
My team had tried the hardest but..In the end we didn't win, as I can recall I think the final score that Mrs.Parker had said was 4 to 5 or something. But that's an estimate as I am not able to remember. Lastly, I went for the relays with Whea Nin. It was surprisingly fun and I found it that I had run faster without my shoes, but as my shoes were the bulkier type and so it had actually added more weight to my shoes making it my feet heavier and harder to lift and run quicker but track shoes and running shoes on the other hand are not as heavy.
To my surprise, I was actually so much faster on this area of the beach, I'm not sure if it was because of the fact that there were less shells or that the sand was not wet or something but I was able to complete running the relay in about 1 minute, 48 seconds as I remember when I counted.When both teams finished the relay, we went back to our seating area at the large patch of grass near to a parking lot.
We all took out our lunch boxes from our bags and ate our lunch, when most of us finished we were sitting there talking.

Soon enough everyone finished eating their lunch, the winners had been announced and I wasn't surprised that it wasn't our Sarlacc, to be honest it really wasn't good.
It was so bad that someone had stepped in it and ruined it as I had seen it happen before my eyes while walking around the beach, viewing my classmates' amazing sand sculptures.
I laughed it off though, as seen as even me and my teammates had agreed it wasn't the best that we could've done.
After the announcement, we left to go back to the playground and all of us were running like dogs chasing after a ball.
All of us were running to the playground, Isaac and I had our eyes set on a prize, the swing.
Luckily he had gotten there before anyone could and we were playing on the swings and some weird seesaw thingy(I have no idea what it is though)
Soon, it was the end of Lunch and time seemed to had flown by so quickly.

Then, right then it was time.. For the great waka race!
The teachers called us to the grass patch, we sat there while they delivered the instructions for the waka race.
We all ran like a stampede of bulls to the fountain, all of us stuck our hands into the icy water and started to push the water to the left to create a current, then switched when we realised there was an already existing current going to the right.
The teachers allowed us to shove our wakas in, mine almost instantly flipped upside down.
It continued to float around the entire pool and I was watching from the sides, continuously flipping the boat over and over again when it turned upside down.
Soon enough, my boat had already went the entire way around the fountain and was already 1/8th the way through the second lap.
Unfortunately, we were called back down to the grass and everyone picked their soaking wet wakas from the fountain and hurried back.

Our bus had already arrived and we walked to the bus stop there where our bus was waiting for us and we all got on.
I sat down with Isaac and stared out the window.
To be honest this field trip was the best I'd ever had in my entire life, but not better than school that I would want to have a field trip every week and I was surely looking forward to tomorrow.


Planning:
The 5 W's:
Who:Hub 8
What:Mission Bay trip.
When:Week 6, Tuesday/ 7th of June, 2016
Where:Mission Bay
Why:For our concept subject, collaboration.

Mini Paragraph 1.5:Getting off the bus and walking to the other side of Mission Bay

Paragraph 1:Building a "Sarlacc" sand sculpture.

Paragraph 2:Playing beach flags, beach soccer and running relays.

Mini Paragraph 2.5:Lunch and announcement of winners of sandcastle race

Paragraph 3:Doing the great waka race.

Paragraph 4:Leaving Mission bay to go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment